Sunday, January 19, 2014

Random Bits of Knowledge I've Used More Than Expected

Lately, I've been thinking about the things I've learned (not from parents) that I've used more than expected. I'm sure I've used a lot more things I learned from my parents than I ever expected to use when I was a teenager, but that's another post. I'll probably update this post as I remember more of them. First are skills I learned at church girl's camp. I never expected to use any of these skills, since I hate camping. However, I must admit some of these skills have come in useful. For example, how to make a bedroll. Since we are trying to save money and turning down the thermostat is a great way to do it. As a paranoid mother that wants to make sure the children warm enough at night, I use bedrolls on their beds. I learned how to do this at camp, even though we never actually used them. I remember this, since soon after I learned it I had to teach my brothers how to do it for scouts. The other camping skill I learned that might be useful is lashing. We have quite a few branches from the neighbor's trees. I am thinking this summer I will lash some together to make some fun outdoor furniture for the kids (to go with the sunflower house we are planting). Drafting and math have come in handy when lengthening patterns or creating extensions for current clothes. Mom is grateful for drafting and it's positive affects on my handwriting. My psuedocode class came in handy when I graduated from college and got a job programming in a language I didn't know yet. My personal fashion selection class taught me that I can wear any color I want, as long as I get the right shade, so I'm open to trying on more clothes than I would have been. Also, it taught me that just because something is cheap it isn't always a good deal and vice versa. For example, if I buy a shirt on sale for $5 and wear it once, it cost me $5 per wearing. If I buy a shirt for $40 and wear it not quite every other week for 20 times, it cost me $2 per wearing and is a much better deal. A county gardening class taught me that while some times are better than others for pruning and trimming, any time is better than not at all. With how well I get around to doing things at the right time, this has been very valuable knowledge. On my mission I learned how to boil water (ok I already knew that) that I could then use with colder water from the tub for taking a shower when the hot water is out. I used that this winter when our hot water heater was out and we were waiting on a new one.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I just saw this. Very interesting! I'm sure you hoped never to have to use the boiling water for the shower trick ever again too. . .